NACSW SANCTIONED ORT
Odors: Birch, Anise, Clove
Sunday, October 15, 2017
Gentle Touch Pet Training
1886 Deer Canyon Road, Arroyo Grande, CA 93420
(click here for directions)
CO: Darcy Larkin, CNWI
Judge: Ivy Underdahl, CNWI
Clove: 10:00 – 11:00 AM
Anise: 11:30 – 12:30 PM
Birch: 1:30 – 3:00 PM
THE ORT IS FULL AND WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING REGISTRATIONS.
THE TIMES ARE AN ESTIMATE. THESE MAY BE REVISED CLOSER TO THE DATE ONCE WE KNOW TOTAL NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS.
NOTE: PLEASE plan to be here promptly at the beginning of the ORT you registered for. You can arrive about 30 minutes before your ORT is scheduled to park and get settled. We will have one Judge’s briefing at the beginning of each separate (birch, anise, clove) ORT. We are not supplying a pre-assigned running order. The running order will be posted on a white board at the start time of each ORT. You can leave when your dog(s) has completed his/her ORT.
Test Site Information
Please bring dog crates/pens and any other comfort requirements (bedding, water bowls, etc.) so that your dog can be comfortable. The fields and the parking area do not have a lot of shade so plan to bring shade and/or crate fans for your dog(s). You may want your favorite seminar chair instead of our plastic ones for waiting outdoors. Weather here is variable as it could be cool or warm and it could rain (that would be amazing)! Watch the weather report and dress in layers.
DOG POLICIES: Clean up after your dog is expected. Please manage your dog carefully while waiting. Because dogs will work one at a time a “dog reactive” dog can attend, but will need to be carefully managed during the event. All dogs must be on a 6’ leash at all times when not being tested. No flexi-leashes for walking dogs on test site grounds; flexis may be used in the test itself.
The handler of the dog must be a current member of the NACSW™. The Dog must be registered with the NACSW™. For information on how to register or become a member go to www.NACSW.net.
$35 per dog per odor.
Second Dog Policy
THIS ORT IS WILL ALLOW SECOND DOG ENTRIES SO ANY HANDLER CAN RUN UP TO TWO DOGS ON ONE ODOR.
The ORT will close when limits are met. We will take approximately 75 ORTs.
If cancellation is required a refund will be given less a $5 service fee. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if a cancellation is required. ENTRY FEES shall not be refunded in the event that a dog is absent, disqualified, or excused by the NACSW™ official or judge.
ORT participants are allowed to have a friend or family member video/photograph their test. ORT participants are not allowed to video/photograph one another. ORT hosts are not obligated to provide someone to video/photograph.
Click HERE for Dog Friendly Hotels near test site.
Test Information – Notice to Exhibitors
- THE TEST SITE will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- CHECK-IN: You may arrive 30 minutes prior to your ORT time (see above).
- HANDLER BRIEFING: Will start promptly at times listed above.
- An ORT must be taken and passed at least 14 days before a trial opening date to be eligible for the first draw period.
- Score books are optional and are not required to participate in an ORT. They are for personal record keeping. If you have lost a scorebook or would like a replacement, you can request a replacement score book that will include all your prior NACSW results. Log in to your account at: www.nacsw.net and under the “My Account” section, go to “My Dogs” and choose the option to order a replacement score book there. The cost is $20.
- HANDLER ATTIRE: Please wear close-toed shoes.
- NO SPECTATORS ARE PERMITTED IN THE SEARCH AREA during the ORT except NACSW™ officials, adults accompanying a minor, CNWI-in-training, or immediate family members/friends of the dog/handler team currently being tested.
- DOGS PRESENT will not be permitted to roam. Exhibitors are responsible for the behavior of their dogs. The owner of each dog is solely responsible for having it ready when it is to be judged. Be prepared to keep your dog in your car when not being tested or on leash at all times.
- There is no inside crating at this test.
- FEMALES IN SEASON – Contact email@example.com at least 1 day before ORT if this becomes a possibility.
- DOGS PARTICIPATING in ORT must be at least six months of age and must appear to be healthy on trial day and should be current on all vaccinations required by law.
- Acknowledgement of entry acceptance/CONFIRMATION will be sent by email.
- BASIC DESCRIPTION OF TEST – to successfully pass an ORT a dog must identify the location of the target odor and the handler must correctly call an “alert” within a three-minute time period. The Odor Recognition Test consists of a drill type exercise which requires 12 closed boxes set up in a pattern of one or two rows, spaced a minimum of 48” apart. The ORT is conducted on leash. Complete information can be obtained on the NACSW™ website.
- All exhibitors should obtain and review a copy of the NACSW™K9 NOSE WORK® RULE BOOK. You may get it from their website: www.NACSW.net
Gentle Touch Pet Training
1886 Deer Canyon Road
Arroyo Grande, CA 93420